Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

SNOW DAY!!

Here in Arkansas, as my mom said on her blog,  Under Her Wings,  if there is even a prediction of snow,  the "school" kids get a snow day.  We homeschoolers take a teacher work day,  and if you think I am making this up for the gov't institutions,  you haven't seen the  hot cocoa mugs lined up on the counter,



 my laundry basket filled with ONLY snow day clothes,


  and the blankets and games spread out.



 It is WORK around here.  ANNNNNDDD,  since I am the teacher.....

This is the first snow day of there year,  and the first snow my CHICKENS have ever seen.


 I wasn't sure what they were going to do.  I have read different things.  But I have some "plucky"  chickens.  I think the cold gets to their feet and I do have one that has stayed in the coop all day.   But I am really proud of them.  Now to see if they layed any eggs.  Just sent my youngest back out to check. 

My kids had a blast in the snow.  We had a friend over who "said" he hadn't been sledding in a few years.  I don't get that....so we dressed him up in my husbands clothes


and sent him out.  I think he had a blast.  But he won't really say anything except,  "It's alright."  I am begging for a little enthusiasm here. 


If you didn't have snow today, or won't ever, or have it and are sick of it,  I pray your day is wonderful still!!  Ours sure was.

Tomorrow we are off to Florida.  It should be...interesting.  Anyone else married to someone who does "vacations"  differently?  I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks for reading, 

Reb

ps.  Aren't these cardinals brilliant? 



pss.  We are going to St. Augstine one day.  Anyone have strong opinions on what to see and what not to see?  Let me know soon.  As in by tomorrow morning. 

psss.  Is there even such a thing as psss?  What comes after that?  

2 comments:

  1. I have a vacation home in St. Augustine, and your mother told me to come over and comment!

    The fort is a must see for your kids. It is very, very old, and is an interesting historic site. There are so many things that's it's hard to say, but there are tour houses (the oldest house and the Ximenez Fatio House)that are interesting, too. Flagler College has a wonderful tour of its historic main buildings which are gorgeous and were originally part of the historic Ponce de Leon hotel. The churches on King street are beautiful, both the Episcopal and the Catholic Cathedral. You can slip in through the side door of the Episcopal Church if you wish. There's a fascinating tour of the old Spanish Hospital on Avilles Street, and that's something that children and adults seem to like.

    There's a brand new pirate museum that has just opened (haven't been yet), and it's across from the fort. There's a pirate ship called the Black Raven that is supposed to be a lot of fun. There's a living history museum on St. George Street where they reinact things they would have done in the early Spanish period. Oh, and night, the entire downtown is lit up for Nights of Lights. It's like a fairyland.

    There's the oldest alligator farm in the country which also has endangered species of birds (my 18 year old niece loved it), and there is a lighthouse which also has a keeper's cottage. You can go to the top of the lighthouse, too. Those are both just east of downtown on Anastasia Island which is part of St. Augustine.

    There is a tour train, and you can hop off and on it. And there are carriage rides along the bayfront.

    There's Potter's Wax Museum, the oldest in the country (on King Street), and there's Ripley's Believe It Or Not on San Marco.

    There might be other things going on, too, but I'm not sure what. Check the weather, though, because it's been sketchy of late.

    OH, and there's the oldest jail which my sister went to see with her grandchildren, and she said it was fun.

    There's the fountain of youth... be sure to take a drink! ;-)

    There's just tons of stuff to do. If you want to know more, feel free to email me. My email address is on my profile page.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the oversized cover-alls on Kev. - it's a good look :) Sounds like ya'll had a fun day. We sure did. By the way, you know you aren't linking to mom's blog. You need to copy and paste the link next time instead of just writing out the name (Haley can help). Have great fun in Fl! Ha ha...my verification word was przatic - kind of like prozac, which you may need after your vacation :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, but this is a family blog, so make 'em Rated G! :-) Thanks!